In 1896, Dr. Rabbi Joseph Krauskopf open the National Farm School in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Inspired by discussions with Leo Tolstoy, Krauskopf hoped to train Jewish immigrants in the United States as farmers. The school emphasized "science with practice."
The school underwent several name changes:
National Agricultural College in 1948
Delaware Valley College of Science and Agriculture in 1960
Delaware Valley University in 2015